marvelous shoe makeover

May 31, 2012
By

Our German exchange student, Tessa only has a few more weekends in the USA so I suggested doing something a little different than the typical movie night.  So we began our adventure by heading to the local Salvation Army to hunt down some shoes…

After the 3 of us found our Cinderella slippers, we searched the web for images we wanted to put on our shoes.  I went with a pink floral theme, Rebecca collected a variety of colored posies & Tessa found inspiration from her pinterest page.  I created collage sheets of the images & had color copies made.  Then we headed to the studio to makeover our thrifty finds.  Armed with foam brushes, mod podge & scissors… we were off to play!

Rebecca cut many of her flower pictures into thin strips & applied them in a row.

Didn’t they turn out stunning?!  She did an amazing job & I have a feeling she could have a pretty successful side job decoupaging shoes for others.

Tessa’s technique was applying square images which gave her pump a more patchwork look.

Tessa also added lovely orange ribbon around the edge for a striking accent.  I love the fact that these pumps represent a cool collage of postage-stamp-sized images Tessa loves.  No doubt these will turn heads when they’re on her feet.

I covered my shoes with pages from a book first, then applied carefully cut flower shapes.

I don’t know why, but I love the look of text & like how it peeks out behind the flowers.  I’ve only worn these shoes out once so far & got crazy compliments on them.  I think I might need to make a few more pairs to add to my selection of soles.

The girls had a great time creating their wearable masterpieces & this project cost less than a movie ticket!  Shoe makeovers are a great crafternoon activity for any group of creative gals who like fabulous shoes.

Like clever & crafty projects that are outside of the box?  We love sharing our creative ideas. Don’t want miss out on our future features… simply sign up to receive these blog posts in your email in box.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

12 Responses to marvelous shoe makeover

1. Melissa on June 1, 2012 at 8:50 am

OMG, those are amazing..what a fantastic idea…thanks for sharing…

• april on June 1, 2012 at 10:29 pm

Happy to inspire creativity :-)

2. Last Minute Lynn on June 1, 2012 at 9:53 pm

What a fun project! So cool that they all look different and are stunning! I appreciate how you show us photos of all the steps. I bet you sure will miss Tessa. She’ll probably start a new trend in her hometown!

• april on June 1, 2012 at 10:28 pm

She has been loads of fun & I’ve enjoyed being part of memories that we’ll both treasure for sure!

3. Cathwren on June 24, 2012 at 3:18 pm

My art friends and I love the shoes so much we are making them to wear to our next meeting. Shoe’d be lots of fun…………….
    Cathwren

4. Jeanne on February 27, 2013 at 11:32 am

Wow! Truly inspiring. I was just wondering what you used to seal the shoes with afterwards? I’m about to start my own shoe-redo but am unsure of which medium to use to protect the shoe from scuffmarks yet still maintain flexibility. Any suggestions?

• april on February 27, 2013 at 2:43 pm

We just used Mod Podge & it worked fine… but depending on the style of show you may still get cracks where the shoe bends when you walk :-) Happy Crafting!

5. Kirsty stevens on July 4, 2013 at 3:45 pm

I have tried to do this for my childrens shoes. But the side of the sole stays tacky and sticks to everything and the front starts peeling off within an hour of wearing
    Please help

• april on July 5, 2013 at 11:31 am

Hi Kirsty,
      I’m not completely sure how to troubleshoot this since I only wear these shoes every now and then. I can imagine that kids would be a little more rough with their their kicks :-) I don’t know why the mod podge wouldn’t cure on the sides of the shoe… maybe the shoe is too flexible. This project works best with shoes that don’t have a lot of give. Wish I could be of more help. Thanks <3

6. Betty Anne McClory on July 10, 2013 at 8:22 pm

Just LOVE the idea!!!

7. Ann Taylor on November 25, 2013 at 3:17 pm

Question: Decoupage shoes. When using Mod Podge glue, do you place several coats on when you’re done to protect from water or peeling? Thank you,

• april on December 9, 2013 at 11:08 pm

I do a couple coats of mod podge, but do realize these shoes are still fragile and won’t do well with water and will crack a bit with heavy wearing.